Dimmer 2 is equipped with an algorithm of smart light source detection. Depending on the connected type of light source, it automatically adjusts an optimal control mode (leading edge for inductive loads, trailing edge for capacitive or resistive loads). The procedure of learning the light source type is called calibration.
During the calibration procedure, radio connection is disabled and the Dimmer 2 does not respond to any commands. It may cause temporary problems with communication in the Z-Wave network. After completing the calibration, communication with the module will be restored.
Calibration automatically adjusts maximum and minimum light levels (parameter 1 and 2). However, the installer is obliged to verify the proper operation of the device, according to control modes description. There is a 10% probability that calibration settings will require a manual correction. In a 2-wire connection for loads other than resistive parameter 1 settings must be adjusted manually.
Calibration procedure is performed always after removing the device from the Z-Wave network. If the device is not included, after each power on/off calibration will occur. For the included device, calibration is performed in accordance with the parameter 35 settings.
Some types of LED and CF lamps are designed to operate in leading edge mode (with conventional dimmers). Information about proper operation mode of the bulb should be included in its manual. In this case you have to manually force the desired operating mode using parameter 30.
After changing the load launch the calibration or remove and add the device. Before changing the operating mode or performing the calibration procedure the light must be turned off. Verify the operating mode, according to product documentation.
Calibration may be forced:
- by setting parameter 13 to 1 or 2 (without/with FIBARO Bypass 2)
- through triple clicking and holding the main light switch (each hold for more than 5 seconds)
- by selecting the appropriate MENU option using the B-button (see „Operating the device” on page 12)
By default, calibration is performed without FIBARO Bypass 2. In case of connecting the Bypass 2, it is required to force the appropriate calibration procedure using B-button menu or through parameter 13. The device saves the last calibration enforcement mode (with or without Bypass 2).
The result of calibration will be confirmed with the LED indicator glowing in one of the following colours:
- GREEN – Light source recognized as dimmable, dimming levels set, brightness may be controlled using the S1 switch.
- YELLOW – Light source recognized as non-dimmable, possibility to turn ON/OFF connected light with default parameters settings.
- RED – Calibration procedure failed. Possible reasons: lack of connected load or connected light source exceeds maximum power, which may be controlled by the Dimmer 2.
- BLINKING RED – Calibration procedure failed. Possible reasons: installation failure or damaged load (causing activation of the overcurrent protection).